29 January 2014
Hon Tony Ryall,
Minister of Health,
Dear Mr Ryall,
Official Information Act – Request
The Bay of Plenty District Health Board has a contract with the New Zealand Family Planning Association to fund the performance of medical abortions at the Association’s Tauranga clinic. It is not the Association’s intention to perform surgical abortions.
I wish to request under the Official Information Act, the following information:
- What is the fee paid by the District Health Board to the FPA for each medical abortion performed on a resident woman at the Tauranga Clinic and what other services are included?
- Is there a separate payment made if counselling is provided before or after an abortion?
- Is there a separate payment made for the time spent by a certifying consultant interviewing a woman considering an abortion at the Tauranga Clinic?
- Is there a payment made in the event that a woman considering an abortion declines to proceed with the abortion or is declined by certifying consultants?
- Do you require the Family Planning Association to comply with the Contraception Sterilisation and Abortion Act 1977, section21  [b] which requires, “That there are in the institution, adequate surgical and other facilities, and adequate and competent staff, for the safe performance of abortions.”