Media Release 15 August 2021
Right to Life believes that the government of Jacinda Ardern is increasingly threatening our human rights. This is the most anti-life government that New Zealand has ever had.
The first duty of government is to protect the right to life of every New Zealander from conception to natural death, it has failed to do this.
The government is threatening our human rights:-
With its anti-life Abortion Legislation Act 2020, which has denied the humanity and right to life of the unborn from conception until they are born. It is now no longer a crime to kill an unborn child up to birth.
This is violence against women and the defenceless unborn, It also undermines the dignity of women and motherhood.
With its support for the passing of the End of Life Choice Act 2019, which will allow, after 7th November 2021, doctors to kill their patients with a lethal injection or assist in their suicide. This is a threat to the lives of the elderly and the seriously ill.
- Violating our right to free speech, assembly, communication and freedom of religion through its support of government policy incorporated in the contentious Contraception Sterilisation and Abortion [safe areas] Amendment bill of Louisa Wall MP, currently with the Health Select Committee.
- Threatening the freedom of the media with $55 million funding with the requirement that it promotes the government’s agenda.
- Potentially violating our right to free speech, with proposed hate speech laws, which may allow the government to decide what we may think and what we may say and potentially criminalise criticism of the government.
- Attacking the traditional family of exclusively one woman and one man, with its promotion of the LGBTQI agenda which seeks to deny the truth that there are only two genders male and female, established at conception.
- Challenging Family First’s charitable status in an appeal to the Supreme Court, that its advocacy for the traditional family does not serve the community.
- Rejecting the 90 % of the 25,000 submissions made to the Abortion Legislation Select Committee which opposed its radical Abortion Legislation bill.
- Rejecting the vast majority of the 39,159 submissions made to the Justice Select Committee opposing the End of Life Choice bill.
The government should realise that those who govern do so with the consent of the governed.
The Prime Minister promised the nation following the general election in 2017, “that this would be the most transparent and accountable government New Zealand had ever seen”.
Right to Life believes that this government is neither transparent nor accountable and that the reality is an artfully crafted mirage.
The government is ignoring the will of the people that it is committed to serve, they will not forget.
Right to Life