Media Release 19 June 2018
In 2017 there were 13,285 abortions reported in New Zealand. This represents a 3.6 per cent increase on the 12,823 abortions reported in 2016. We should mourn with these women who are grieving the loss of their precious child. This represents 36 babies murdered every day in New Zealand. If this number of children were taken out of our kindergartens each day to be murdered there would be riots in our cities and towns. Why does our Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern now want to make this killing a “reproductive health choice for women?” Right to Life is concerned at this increased killing. However, we applaud the heroic and sacrificial women who rejected abortion and chose life for their precious infants. They deserve the generous support of the whole community. Right to Life also grieves with the women who were so often abandoned by the father of the child in the time of the woman’s greatest need and were coerced into an abortion that was chosen for her. It is a cruel mockery and charade for society to pretend that it is “a woman’s right to choose.” “Choosing” an abortion is a decision of despair and a cry for help.
The abortion statistics are an indictment on our Parliament which sanctions and funds the killing of the innocent as a core health service with unlimited funding and no waiting list; our women deserve better. The statistics disguise the reality that every child violently dismembered in the womb of the child’s mother is an unrepeatable miracle of God’s Loving creation.
The statistics are also an indictment on the media which have generally ignored the media release on abortion statistics made by Statistics NZ this morning. It was Joseph Stalin who said the killing of one human being is a tragedy and the killing of tens of thousands just a statistic. Since 1977 more than 500,000 children have been violently killed in their mother’s womb, a massive violation of human rights. Why is the media so coldly indifferent to the killing of New Zealand children in their first nine months of life?
Right to Life requests that the government introduce abstinence sexuality programmes to replace Family Planning school sex education programs which encourage promiscuity with abortions arranged without the knowledge or consent of parents as a backup for failed contraceptives.
Repeat abortions totalled 4,844, 3,106 were having their second, 1,158 were having their third, 376 were having their fourth, 138 their fifth, 37 their sixth, 19 their seventh and 10 their eighth or more. Right to Life believes that these statistics are under reported. Studies conducted in the United States, reveal that repeat abortions are actually 50 per cent of the total abortions reported.
Key Facts Abortion Statistics 2017
- The general abortion rate was 13.7 abortions per 1,000 women aged 15–44 years, up from 13.5 per 1,000 in 2016.
- Women aged 20–24 years had the highest abortion rate (21 abortions per 1,000 women aged 20–24 years), unchanged from 2016.
- 54 percent of all abortions were for women aged in their 20s
- Most abortions (64 percent) were a woman’s first abortion.
- 59 percent of abortions were performed before the 10th week of the pregnancy, up from 57percent in 2016
- 18 percent of known pregnancies (live births, stillbirths, and abortions) ended in an abortion.
- 99 young women under the age of 16 years had an abortion in 2017, 67 alleged that they had notified their parents or guardian of their abortion, 32 did not. Note; there is no way of determining whether those who had told their parents had actually done so.
- 12,925 abortions were authorised on the grounds of mental health, the grounds used by certifying consultants to provide abortion on demand. This is 98 percent of the total. There were 49 abortions authorised on the grounds of danger to life/ and or physical health.
Right to Life