Right to Life welcomes the announcement by the Parliamentary Health Select Committee, of the terms of reference for its public consultation on the petition of the Hon Marion Street.
The petition reads; “That the House of Representatives investigate fully public attitudes towards the introduction of legislation which would permit medically-assisted dying in the event of a terminal illness or an irreversible condition which makes life unbearable.”
Now is the time to speak up in defence of the lives of the vulnerable in our community, the aged, the disabled and the seriously ill. We must banish from our land a culture of death which comes disguised as an angel of mercy and compassion. We must not deceived by alluring and beguiling language that disguises the murder of the innocent and defenceless by calling it medically-assisted dying. Right to Life asks the members of the Select Committee to be aware of the reality of what they are being asked to consider in this deceptive petition; nothing less than doctors being allowed to kill their patients or to assist their patients in killing themselves There is no place for this ethos in our community.
Euthanasia and Physician Assisted Suicide are both serious crimes that are in the Crimes Act to protect the vulnerable in society. Under the Crimes Act section 158, Assisting or encouraging a person to commit suicide is a serious crime that provides for on conviction, a sentence of up to 14 years in prison. Under section 179 homicide is a serious crime, that provides for on conviction, up to life in prison.
- Let us defend vigorously our medical profession whose ethics are under mortal attack from those who seek to destroy the sanctity of life ethic and make our doctors not carers, but killers.
- Let us to defend our world class hospices staffed by highly qualified doctors and nurses who provide quality palliative care with pain control and real not counterfeit, death with dignity.
- Let us protect the most vulnerable members of our community, the aged, the disabled and the seriously ill.
- Let us give a message of hope and not despair to our youth who have one of the highest rates of youth suicide in the world.
- Let us be aware of the total hypocrisy of proposing that suicide and homicide are solutions to life’s problems at its beginning and end stages but are totally unacceptable at any other stage.
We must not remain silent in the face of this intrinsic evil which threatens our nation.
Right to Life welcomes visitors to our web site, www.right.to.life.org.nz for further information that will assist you to make a submission to the Health Select Committee.
An electronic submission may be made before the beginning of February 2016 or by posting a submission to the Clerk of the Health Select Committee, Parliament Building, Wellington. http://www.parliament.nz/en-nz/pb/sc/make-submission/0SCHE_SCF_51DBHOH_PET63268_1/petition-of-hon-maryan-street-and-8974-others
Right to Life,
Phone 03 3856111