29 January 2014
Hon Tony Ryall,
Minister of Health,
Dear Mr Ryall,
Official Information Act – Request
The Bay of Plenty District Health Board has a contract with the New Zealand Family Planning Association to fund the performance of medical abortions at the Association’s Tauranga clinic. It is not the Association’s intention to perform surgical abortions.
I wish to request under the Official Information Act, the following information:
- What is the fee paid by the District Health Board to the FPA for each medical abortion performed on a resident woman at the Tauranga Clinic and what other services are included?
- Is there a separate payment made if counselling is provided before or after an abortion?
- Is there a separate payment made for the time spent by a certifying consultant interviewing a woman considering an abortion at the Tauranga Clinic?
- Is there a payment made in the event that a woman considering an abortion declines to proceed with the abortion or is declined by certifying consultants?
- Do you require the Family Planning Association to comply with the Contraception Sterilisation and Abortion Act 1977, section21  [b] which requires, “That there are in the institution, adequate surgical and other facilities, and adequate and competent staff, for the safe performance of abortions.”
Thank you for your assistance with this enquiry.