Right to Life has received a reply from the ASC to our letter of complaint following statements made by Dr Snook in North & South. The Committee has declined to answer any of our questions and seeks to dismiss it by saying, “ At the request of the Committee, Dr Snook was provided with an opportunity to respond to comments that were attributed to him within the article. The Committee is satisfied with the clarification provided by Dr Snook. Accordingly the Committee have decided that no further action will be taken.”
This is totally unsatisfactory and we have now written back to the ASC;
14 December 2013
Abortion Supervisory Committee,
Dear Ms Melkiau,
Dr Simon Snook – Certifying Consultant Official Information Act Request
Thank you for your letter of 11 December 2013. I wish to request under the Official Information Act a copy of the Committee’s letter to Dr Snook on the subject of statements allegedly made by him and included in an article published in the October edition of the magazine North & South. I also request a copy of his letter in reply to the Committee and a copy of the Committee’s response to Dr Snook.
It is noted with concern that the questions presented by our Society in my letter of 17 September 2013 have not been answered. Your Committee has appointed Dr Snook as a certifying consultant with the authority to decide which children shall live and which children shall be killed. In the interest of vulnerable women and their precious unborn, I would be grateful if you would please respond to the following questions posed in my previous letter. As this is a very important issue I would appreciate an urgent response.
- Does your Committee accept that the views expressed by Dr Snook are in violation of section 30?
- Does the Committee believe that it has a responsibility to question Dr Snook on the manner that he is authorising abortions?
- Does our Committee believe that it has a duty to report Dr Snook to the Medical Council to enable the Council to conduct an investigation into the performance of Dr Snook?
- Will your Committee consider revoking the appointment of Dr Snook as a certifying consultant?
- Can you confirm that Dr Simon Snook, prior to appointment as a certifying consultant, completed a declaration that he did not hold views on abortion incompatible with section 30?
- What action will your Committee take, to ensure that the certifying consultants appointed by your Committee, do not authorise abortions unlawfully in the belief that the killing of the child is a mother’s right to choose?