7 January 2013
Hon Tony Ryall,
Minister of Health,
Dear Mr Ryall,
New Zealand Family Planning Association – Funding Opposed
I wish to express concern at the government funding of the New Zealand Family Planning Association [NZFPA]. According to the financial statement of the Association for the year ending 30th June 2008, the latest available, the Association received government grants/ contracts totalling $10,775,532. Our Society is opposed to the government providing any funding to this Association for the following reasons:
- The Association is the major referral agency for abortion in New Zealand.
- The Association is opposed to upholding the laws governing abortion that were intended by Parliament in 1977 in the passing of the legislation to provide protection for mothers and their unborn children.
- In 2009 the NZFPA made an application to the Abortion Supervisory Committee for a licence to perform medical abortions at its Hamilton clinic. The NZFPA announced that it was its intention to ultimately perform abortions at all of its 29 clinics. The application was subsequently withdrawn.
- The Association together with the Women’s Health Action Trust and the Abortion Law Reform Association in September 2012 launched a national campaign to decriminalise abortion.
- Decriminalisation would remove protection for women, who would be increasingly subject to abandonment, exploitation and coercion. It would permit an abortion up to 24 weeks gestation for any reason, or for no reason. After 24 weeks and up to birth an abortion would require the consent of a doctor.
- The Association will only employ doctors who believe that it is a women’s right to choose abortion. The Association will not employ doctors who are committed to upholding the law governing the killing of unborn children. This is contrary to the Crimes Act 1961. In effect, the Association is promoting the unlawful authorisation of abortions.
The government should cease funding the New Zealand Family Planning Association [NZFPA], the biggest abortion referral agency in New Zealand. . The government should follow the good example of the United States Congress and State Legislatures who are increasingly aware of the damage inflicted on society by Planned Parenthood [PP], the American equivalent of the NZFPA, both affiliates of the International Planned Parenthood Federation. There are nine states in the United States that have defunded Planned Parenthood because they are concerned at the abortion-centred business model pursued by PP and by the damage being inflicted on their communities. Moves to defund PP are being promoted in many other state legislatures. The latest example is the Texas Senate which has defunded Texas Planned Parenthood by withdrawing funding of $64 million. There is a Congressional Committee currently investigating PP for alleged fraud, waste and abuse.
The NZFPA is part of the sex education lobby that is systematically undermining traditional morality and is aggressively promoting an ideology of lustful sexual licence while pretending to be concerned only with the health and safety of young people. As part of their subversive agenda, the Association has produced ‘a sexual and reproductive health guide for same sex attracted women’ titled “Keeping it Safe” The guide is amoral, and promotes unnatural and degrading sexual practices that denigrate the dignity of women.
The NZFPA and Planned Parenthood are affiliates of the International Planned Parenthood Federation that promote contraception, sterilisation and abortion worldwide, which constitutes a culture of death. They also support China’s one child family policy with forced abortions and sterilisations which are a violation of human rights. This should come as no surprise, as the founder of Planned Parenthood was the infamous Margaret Sanger, who was a racist and a eugenicist. She stated that, “Our objective is unlimited sexual gratification without the burden of children.” and “the most merciful thing that a family does to one of its infants is to kill it.
Right to Life believes that there are many in our community who are totally opposed to Family Planning being funded with our taxes. It would be in the interest of women, the unborn and families if the government defunded Family Planning. I would be grateful if you would advise:
- Will you consider defunding Family Planning?
- In the defence of vulnerable women and their precious unborn, will you petition Family Planning to desist from its national campaign to decriminalise the abortion laws in New Zealand?
- Are there alternative agencies to Family Planning in the community that the government could fund, that promote the traditional family, that don’t undermine the morals of our youth and that don’t have a contraception, abortion business model that is damaging to our community?
- In view of the substantial fraud revealed in the use of Federal and State funding by Planned Parenthood in the United States, are there audit processes in place to prevent similar fraud by Family Planning in accounting for government funding?