Media Release 14 October 2014
Right to Life is disappointed that the National Council of Women [NCW] which has an outstanding record over 120 years of promoting the interests of women, has adopted at its recent National Conference a remit calling on the government to decriminalise abortion. This will intensify the war on women.
The consequences of decriminalisation are;
- It would remove abortion from the Crimes Act. It would no longer be a crime to kill an unborn child.
- The killing of the child would be a health issue and the state would have no interest in protecting the right to life of the child- which would be the property of the mother.
- An abortion could be for any reason or no reason effectively for the full nine months of pregnancy.
- It would discriminate against the disabled e.g.Down syndrome or Spina Bifida children, who could now be killed up to birth.
- It would discriminate against women as it would now allow sex selection abortions which favour male children.