Family Planning Misleading New Zealand Women of Abortifacient Action of Jadelle Contraceptive Implants

Media Release -  10 August 2013

A Conspiracy of Silence – Family Planning

The Family Planning Association staff are inserting Jadelle implants into the arms of women in violation of their Health rights. Those rights are enshrined  in the Health and Disability Act 2000. The rights are,  Right 6, Right to be fully informed. Right 7,the Right to Make an Informed Choice and Give Informed Consent.

An estimated 40,000 women in New Zealand have had the Long Acting Reversible Contraceptive [LARC] Jadelle implants inserted into their arms since the implants were fully funded by the government in 2010. Many of these women did so in the belief that the implants were solely a contraceptive. They have been cruelly and deliberately deceived for the implant is not only a contraceptive but is also an abortifacient, that is, that it not only prevents new life but  it destroys new life. The implant is not health care.

The Jardelle implant is manufactured by the pharmaceutical manufacturer, Bayer Pharma. Its web site states that the Jardelle implant works firstly by inhibiting the release of the egg,  stopping it maturing, secondly by changing the cervical mucus consistency thus making it more difficult for sperm to reach the egg, thirdly by suppressing the endometrium which may prevent implantation of the blastocyst. This third action thus causes the destruction of a new human being at the beginning of its life.

The web site of the New Zealand Family Planning Association provides information for health consumers on the Jadelle implant, under the heading,” How do they work”, it states  that:

“Implants can stop the body from releasing an egg each month. They also thicken the mucus in the cervix so that sperm cannot travel up to meet an egg.”  There is absolutely no information on Family Planning’s web site on the abortifacient action of this lethal drug, why is this?

Human life begins at conception and every human being is a unique and unrepeatable miracle of God’s loving creation, deserving of our respect and protection. The Jadelle implant has a tertiary action of preventing a newly conceived tiny human being from implanting in its mother’s womb. Research reveals that a woman with a Jadelle implant may have one or two  chemical abortions each year.

Family Planning are asking women and the community to accept the destruction of an estimated forty to eighty thousand human beings in the womb each year in preference to having them killed in a hospital or clinic by medical or surgical abortions. Every life is precious whether it is only several days old or 20 weeks old. Every abortion is violence against women and their unborn. These implants are an assault on women’s fertility and a denial of the right to life of the innocent and most defenceless members of the human family.

The Jadelle implants are instruments of a culture of death. The cost of an implant is $300. The government to its shame, is funding this campaign to sterilise the women of New Zealand. It is estimated that the government has wasted $12 million to date on this campaign.  Like the killing of children in the womb, it has unlimited government funding. The long suffering taxpayers of New Zealand should be outraged and ask why is this money not put into genuine health services that promote health and protect life. Why is the Ministry of Health continuing to promote a culture of death? Why to does the government continue to fund Family Planning that seduces our teenagers and which does so much damage in our community?

Right to Life requests that Family Planning respect the right of women to be fully informed and to give an informed consent. Family Planning should:

· Rectify its previous failure to comply with this legal obligation by endeavouring to contact their clients who have received a Jadelle implant and to inform them of the abortifacient action of the implant.

· Ensure that this legal obligation is upheld with future clients seeking a Jadelle implant.

· Immediately correct the information contained in the Family Planning pamphlet on the implant and on its web site.

Ken Orr

Spokesperson,

Right to Life.

Comments

1. Marie says

Perhaps this article could be sent out as a memo to all the pregnancy help centres around NZ who are unwittingly supporting this form of chemical abortion by offering Jadelle promotional pamphlets to their clients.

• says

Thank you for drawing our attention to the action of Pregnancy Help centres promoting the Jadelle implants. Our executive will give serious consideration to your suggestion that we approach them to advise them of the abortifacient nature of the implants.

Right to Life exec

2. Tahlia says

How do we (women with jadelle) know whether or not this has happened to us during our time with having Jadelle as contraception? Are there any signs or symptoms when this occurs?

• says

Hello Indys,

So perhaps you would like to tell us how mentioning God actually invalidates the facts that we have presented here?

Regards,

Right to Life admin

3. says

I had this removed and got pregnant within weeks. Before having a proper period. And lost my baby at 9 weeks. Even though I was taking all my pregnancy pills. Had a healthy lifestyle and only being 21. No answers as to why… And then I read this… I will always ask myself why. And always blame my social worker I had 3 years before this that pretty much forced me to get this contraceptive even though I didn’t want to. I am disgusted.

4. Nena says

This is what is says in the Jadelle leaflet as per the medsafe.co.nz website.

“Jadelle is a contraceptive implant, used to prevent pregnancy. Contraceptive implants such
    as Jadelle are for long term (up to five years) use.
    The implants contain a synthetic hormone, levonorgestrel, which is also one of the active
    ingredients used in many oral contraceptives. Immediately after the insertion of Jadelle
    implants, low doses of the hormone start to be released continuously into your body. Jadelle
    prevents pregnancy through a combination of mechanisms. The most important of these are
    inhibition of the egg release by stopping it maturing and changing the cervical mucus
    consistency, making it more difficult for sperm to reach the egg. Other mechanisms may also
    be involved.”

OTHER MECHANISMS MAY ALSO BE INVOLVED, but no specific mention of them. The right to be fully informed is taken away at the source – in the information leaflet of all places! -_-

• says

Hello Nena,

This is exactly the point. Right to Life is very concerned that New Zealand women are not being given the opportunity of being fully informed and this is simply not good enough. We ask what else are they also being kept in the dark about?

Regards,

Right to Life admin

5. Gemma says

I would just like to point out that people who have the Jadelle implant don’t want to get pregnant in the first place, which is why they’re on contraception. Maybe the company should have told it’s users/buyers about what can happen at the tertiary stage, but it still doesn’t go against the reason for this product – to stop people from getting pregnant. Choice is something every human being has, they can choose what they would like to do with themselves. If someone doesn’t want to have a baby it should be there choice to not have one. These beliefs that an unborn fetus has the same mental capacity as an adult is just downright stupid. Human children are completely unable to look after themselves until they are about 10 years old. As babies we are completely incapable when you compare us to the young of the animal world. This only further proves that as a baby, and an unborn one at that, we do not have the same mental capacity as an adult. To think that an unborn fetus is the same as an adult is just ludicrous because if you do a comparison not even the physical qualities are the same. I would just like you to think about what you are trying to promote because the ideals you hold are completely medieval and have no place in our modern society. People shouldn’t have to feel embarrassed about what they choose and yet all pro-life supporters make these people feel horrible about themselves. If you are going to support all human beings maybe you should start by not causing the humans, that are already around today, a lot of hurt and pain through your actions and your words. Every one deserves to have a choice, but the only people who are able to make conscious choice’s are the ones have been born, an unborn fetus is not an equal to a human being and that is a plain and simple fact. Not being able to see and comprehend the differences between a fetus and a child only further discredits your cause. When an eighteen year old has more scope than an executive it only shows what narrow-minded people run various groups and companies. Anyone who believes in taking away a human being’s choice is someone who believes in an altered reality. You take away someones right to choose you might as well be supporting something criminal. Maybe pro-life should be considered criminal because taking away someone’s right to choose what to do with their own body is immoral. Whether they want to be on contraception, or to have an abortion, or not to have an abortion, or even to not have sex, taking away someones choice – someones right – is taking away what they believe in. We all have the right to choose. It doesn’t matter what you choose, but having that choice – having that choice is essential. Without choice you make room for a society that only has one path – a path to destruction and it all starts without choice.

6. Katie Ervine says

OH MY GOODNESS. Seriously? Let me tell you something; a baby cannot even have a simple thing called ‘object permanence’ until around the age of them being able to support their own bodies. They don’t have thoughts, or dreams, or anything.
    Stop throwing your religious weight around and mucking up the lives of women. For some reason, people think that it is so awful to kill a fetus; that they’re killing God’s little creation, but what you don’t see is those people actually helping the mother care for the child afterwards, and if you really cared so much, put that effort into something useful, like funding the starving children all around the world…
    Wait, sorry. I forgot. You don’t care once the kid is breathing, because your stuck up point of veiw just will not stand for killing some poor little fetus child, and that’s all you have the effort and energy to do!!!
    There is also a thing called BODY AUTONOMY. It means that your body is yours. Hell, even once you are dead, they cannot remove your organs even to save the life of a dying child if you haven’t legally said ‘yes’. Even then, your family could say no.
    …Have you ever taken a biology lesson? The sperm meets the egg and then the egg is fertilised, creating a zygote. This microscopic formation of cells holds the genetic code to making a baby. That does not make it a baby. An embryo will form within 3 weeks. This is not a baby. At week five, the cells divide and start performing different functions. Not a baby… Between the 5-7 week period, the brain and spinal cord develop, and the heart. But the brain doesn’t have the connections, the synapses, anything, to be called human. There is no life in something that cannot sustain itself, he’ll, the brain is still a glimpse of a mushy muddled thing. Arm and leg buds grow… And growth continues. Week ten is where I will allow you to call it a baby. It has most if not all of the vital organs, and can be called a fetus. The baby will not move until is is nearly 12 weeks old. That’s around 3-4 months. That’s a long time.
    I would dearly like to know just why you think this mushy not alive chance formation of genetic material and brain matter is a baby. Because it is not.
    And tell me just what about abortions, and this form of contraception is so wrong.
    Because if you think a zygote is worth saving… Then you better start yelling at all the teenage boys who let their sperm die in tissues and socks, or girls who have the audacity to let their eggs just die, and that nice soft uterus bleed every month when they held the potential to be a baby!
    Grow up. It’s not the fifties anymore.

• says

Dear Katie,
      Human life begins at conception. This is a settled scientific fact. If this was not correct then some of your argument would be valid. Once human life at any stage is threatened, all human life is at risk.
      Human sperm is not a new human being. No new life is present in the male sperm. However once conception has occurred than a new human being is fully present.
      Kind regards,
      Right to Life Admin

7. Martha Que says

This is an extremely bias article. Some people don’t have any other option to get an obortion. What if they had been raped or something of the likes. This is just horrible. ?.

• says

Hi Martha,
      We are saddened that you feel that some people have no other option but to get an abortion. Society today is far more liberal and unfortunately far less caring when it comes to supporting women who have an unexpected pregnancy. Right to Life works to support adoption as the loving choice. If you search our website you will find links to women who have chosen to carry their child to full term following being raped. While rape is a horrific crime the killing of an unborn child afterwards only creates a second victim.
      Right to Life admin

• jo says

Are you for real? You think that a woman who has been raped is creating a second victim if she has an abortion? You SIR have no fucken idea! You propose violation after violation for a rape victim who has falling victim to a violent and vulgar crime against her body, you are a discgrace. Go back to your moral blueprint and start again.

• says

I can understand your pain and anger. It is a terrible injustice when a women is cruelly raped, sexual assaults on women are roundly deplored and those responsible should be brought to the courts to be tried and punished for their heinous crimes. Fortunately pregnancies as a result of rape are rare. There are many persons who have been born as a result of rape and they are overwhelmed with gratitude to their mother who has heroically chosen life for them. There are many stories from women who have been raped and chose to terminate the life of their child, they have said that the rape was traumatic and it took time to heal. We do not judge these women for their plight is painful. For many women who have been raped, they recounted that they were able to come to terms in time with the sexual assault and violation, but they found that they could never forget the abortion which they saw as a further and more violent violation of their body. Right to Life is pro-life and staunchly and proudly pro-women.

8. Liz says

Hi there,
    As someone who regularly provides contraception advice to young women, I was naturally quite concerned when I read this article, so have spent the last couple of hours of my evening doing some research.
    I found the Bayer information sheet for the Jardelle and it is accurately quoted. What I did notice, however, is that it was written in 2010. What I also found is that there are articles (published by the London Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, WHO, and others) that indicate that more recent research has shown that levonorgestrel does not prevent implantation of a fertilized egg, does not interrupt an established pregnancy, and does not harm a developing embryo.
    I do not claim to be an expert in pharmacology and this is only some information that I found in a short time late on a Sunday evening. New research is published so frequently that despite my best efforts it can be hard to keep up-to-date and informed. I always appreciate it when my colleagues pass on relevant new information to me so that I can give accurate advise and the best care to patients.
    I will definitely be doing more reading on the topic and thought that the author of this article may also be interested in following up on this recent research so that they too can ensure that they are fully informed and in turn pass on the most up-to-date and accurate information to readers.

Regards,
    Liz

• says

Hi Liz,

We would be appreciative of you emailing us the links for the research that you have undertaken. We would like to follow this up.

Kind Regards,

Right to Life admin

9. Amie says

The normal ” contraceptive pill” does this exact thing too. Firstly preventing the egg from being released- on average they say 75% of the time this works and the 25% that gets released are prevented from attaching to the womb. A fertilised egg( a baby) can b up to 7 days old – trying to attach but failing( because of the more sinister part of the pills ingredients. So the average lady on the pill is unknowingly aborting at LEast every year on average just like the jadelle users. I didn’t believe this when I found out but asked my midwife at the time and she said it is true. .

10. Christine says

the lot of you make me sick!
    What right do you have to tell someone what decision regarding THEIR BODIES AND POSSIBLE FUTURE CHILDREN?
    Would you tell someone that got pregnant by rape that they couldn’t abort that baby that would only be a reminder everyday of something awful that happened to her?
    And scaremongering young girls into getting a reliable form of contraception removed which could likely lead to an unwanted, unplanned and maybe teen pregnancy?
    What disgusting behaviour from a bunch of fully grown, and I’m sure highly educated adults!

11. Nicole says

I just want to say that I have had 2 premature baby’s with my second baby I almost died having him he was 3 months early weighing 825grms. the doctors told me that if I had left going into hospital any later then they don’t know what would of happened to me and my baby. with this they said that this situation is always going to happen but it will get be worse. Every time, either I would die or the baby would die so medically I cant have anymore children. so I needed something to help me be able to stick around for my two beautiful children and not leave them motherless. so I got the jadelle. and its perfect for me I haven’t killed any babies I have been getting my period like every other woman gets the jadelle is doing what it is suppose to do and stopping me from falling pregnant. WHY DONT YOU THINK ABOUT THE WOMAN THAT HAVE REAL REASONS TO HAVE CONTRECEPTION SUCH AAS MYSELF CAUSE I KNOW I DONT WANT TO DIE I WANT TO SEE MY TWO CHILDREN GROW THATS WHAT I WANT AND BY HAVING THE JADELLE THATS EXSACLY WHAT IM DOING THANK YOU VERY MUCH BUT NOT ONLY THAT I AM PROTECTING ANYMORE CHILDREN I MAY HAVE FALLING PREGNANT WITH FROM DYING HENCE MY MEDICAL REASON ABOVE. WATCH WHAT YOU SAY BECAUSE FOR PEOPLE LIKE ME ITS GOING TO BE OFFENSIVE

• says

Hello Nicole,

Your comment on our Jadelle article is one that we would like to answer fully. We will be responding to your heartfelt comment as soon as we can.

Regards,

Right to Life Admin

12. Evan says

I’m happy to say views like yours are in a vast minority that is getting even smaller each day. Soon we will not have to worry about any influence views like these might have at any level, governmental or societal. This makes me happy. Have a nice day. :)

• says

On the contrary Mr Kiljoy. You are obviously unaware of the growing awareness around the world especially amongst young persons that abortion is unacceptable. NZ lags behind the growing Pro-life movement in the United States in this regard, but it is the young who now realise that the actions of their parents generation have been responsible for the current holocaust. Seems like your happiness may be short lived.

• Evan says

Yet the numbers don’t lie… Abortion is becoming more freely available and accessible in all developed countries, you can’t argue with that point. I’ll dig up the numbers from various studies and post them here if you want, they basically show you’re one the wrong side of the fence and support for your “cause” is dwindling. Again, this all makes me happy. :)